by Randolph Charles
Becoming Easter People: Session Three
In the course “Becoming Easter People,” we will learn how the first Christians lived into a way and a community that was grounded in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, and how deep prayer can be just as important for us as it was for those first believers.
Learning groups meet on Sundays at 9:15 and 10:45 and on Tuesdays at 10:30 in the Reception Room. All are welcome.
Readings for Session Three
- April 22 & 24 Acts 6:8-8:40
- Conversations with Scripture: The Acts of the Apostles, Chapter 3 (Optional)
- Armchair Mystic: Easing into Contemplative Prayer, Chapters 5-7 (Optional)
Outline of Acts 6:8-8:40
- 6:8-8:1a Preaching and martyrdom of Stephen (Diaspora Jews, Septuagint, Abraham, Joseph, Moses, Saul, stoning)
- 8:1b-40 Spread of the Gospel to Samaria and beyond (Philip, Simon, Peter and John, Ethiopian eunuch)
Conversation Guides for Session Three
Understanding the Text
- What did you learn about the “Hellenists” and the “Hebrews”?
- What did you learn about Stephen?
- What did you learn about Philip?
Connecting the Text to Our Daily Life and Church
- How does the organizing decision in Acts 6:1-6 relate to St. James’?
- How do you connect with the encounter between the Ethiopian eunuch and Philip?
Letting God Guide Us through Prayer
What is your opinion and/or experience of receiving the Holy Spirit through the laying on of hands?