Adult Formation at Saint James’
Adult formation is learning about the faith and being formed by the triune God through
- study of religious sources [Bible, Prayer Book, books, etc.]
- contemplative prayer [lectio divina, contemplation, centering prayer, examen, etc.]
- meaningful conversation [honest, open, focused, non-judgmental, helpful, respectful, etc.]
- and participation in the life of a faith community. [learning groups, Saint James’, The Episcopal Church]
Learning More About St. Francis and Creation
Course Book: Eager to Love: The Alternative Way of Francis of Assisi ($10 paperback/$10 Kindle)
Session Dates and Conversation Chapters
- Sep 10 & 12 Session 1: Introduction
- Sep 17 & 19 Session 2: Chapter 1, What Do We Mean by Mysticism?
- Sep 24 & 26 Session 3: Chapter 2, Inner Authority of Those Who Have Suffered
- Oct 1 & 3 Session 4: Chapter 3, Living on the Edge of the Inside: Simplicity and Justice
- Oct 8 & 10 Session 5: Chapter 4, Home Base: Nature and the Road
- Oct 15 & 17 Session 6: Chapter 5, Contemplation: A Different Way of Knowing
- Oct 22 & 24 Session 7: Chapter 6, An Alternative Orthodoxy: Paying Attention to Different Things
- Oct 29 & 31 Session 8: Chapter 7, Franciscan Genius: Integration of the Negative
- Nov 5 & 7 Session 9: Chapter 8, Lightness of Heart and Firmness of Foot: Feminine & Masculine
- Nov 12 & 14 Session 10: Chapter 9, Legacy of Clare: Living the Life at Depth
- Nov 19 & 21 Session 11: Chapter 10, Entering the World of Another: Francis and the Sultan
- Nov 26 & 28 Session 12: Chapter 13, Francis: A Natural Spiritual Genius
The primary purpose of learning groups is to facilitate participants in getting a deeper understanding of how St. Francis lived a life of deep faith, especially through his relationships with God, Creation, the poor and all of God’s people. St. Francis has had a huge impact on Christianity, and there is so much we can learn from him.
- Sunday Learning Group, 9:15am and 11:45am in Reception Room (Childcare for five years and younger in Nursery)
- Tuesday Learning Group, 10:30 in Reception Room
- Home Learning Group (Form your own group of two or more; meet in your own space. Contact Fr. Randolph for more information.)
- Online Learning Group (Join the Saint James’ Adult Formation Facebook group.)
Learning Group Conversation Norms
Respectful Conversation Guidelines
- R = take RESPONSIBILITY for what you say and feel without blaming others
- E = use EMPATHETIC listening
- S = be SENSITIVE to differences in communication styles
- P = PONDER what you hear and feel before you speak
- E = EXAMINE your own assumptions and perceptions
- C = keep CONFIDENTIALITY
- T = TRUST ambiguity because we are NOT here to debate who is right or wrong
Learning Group Creed
I am beloved of God.
I am on a faith journey with Jesus Christ that touches my heart,
and I am grateful to be walking in faith with companions along the way.
I don’t need to be right.
I do want to be faithful.