Whether or not your children were able to make it to Sunday school, you can still engage them in this week’s story. Please read the summary, look up the story online, in your bible, or a children’s bible, and begin the discussion. Increasing your child’s biblical knowledge will be foundational in their faith development. What a gift to provide a child. Adults also reap the benefit of digging in deeper to these stories.
This week Sunday School focused on the reading from Samuel, hearing how God called on Samuel to select a new king and led him to David. Samuel went to Jesse’s house in Bethlehem and there he met all of Jesse’s sons that were brought before him, but God chose none of them. Instead, Samuel had Jesse bring in his youngest son, who was watching their sheep, and he, David, was the one chosen, despite his age.
God chose David because of his pure heart, not because of his age or appearance. God sees and judges us based on what is in our hearts, on what is beneath our skin, not on how we appear or what we say. We are all called on to serve God just as David did.
Table Talk Questions
- Why did Samuel go to Bethlehem? Where did he go in Bethlehem?
- Why do you think Jesse did not have his youngest son present when Samuel was meeting the older sons?
- What do you think God could see in David that others did not?
- Have you ever felt overlooked when there was a job to be done? If so, what did you do?
- What might God be calling you to do right now? How might that change when you are an adult?