Whether or not your children were able to make it to Sunday school, you can still engage them in this week’s story. Please read the summary, look up the story online, in your bible, or a children’s bible, and begin the discussion. Increasing your child’s biblical knowledge will be foundational in their faith development. What a gift to provide a child. Adults also reap the benefit of digging in deeper to these stories.
In Sunday School this week, your children learned the Parable of the Sower. In it, the Sower spreads their seeds on many different soils. Those seeds that landed on rocks, or among thorns, or were eaten by birds, did not grow. Only those seeds sown in the good earth were able to push their roots into the ground and grow to be harvested.
Just like those seeds, Jesus’ teachings can only take root in hearts that are ready to hear them and live by them and thus enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
Table Talk Questions
- What happened to the seeds that landed on the stones and in the thorns? Why?
- What happened to the seeds that landed in the good earth? Why?
- How do you think the sower felt about the seeds that died? How do you think he felt about the seeds that grew to be harvested?
- The story was told by someone when they were asked about the Kingdom of Heaven. Who do you think it might have been that people were following and asking about Heaven?
- What do you think are the seeds that Jesus sowed among us?
- How can we make sure that Jesus’ teachings, his seeds, land in good soil for us?