A Report to the Parishioners of Saint James’ from the Adult Formation Discernment Team
The mission of the Adult Formation Discernment Team was to determine and launch new adult formation programs at Saint James’. Christian formation is Christian education with the added dimension of cultivating an openness to being formed and shaped by God.
The purpose of creating new adult formation offerings is threefold:
- to serve more parishioners, especially those who have not been regular participants in formation programs before,
- to choose one area of learning which could be a shared experience for the entire parish during a liturgical season or a period of time, and
- to provide both scholarly content and practical application to daily living.
The team gathered data through conversations with parishioners and a parish survey. More than a hundred parishioners participated in the survey. We also looked at resources and methods of learning.
Based on our discussions and discernment, here are the plans for the Season of Epiphany, January 6 to February 28:
Continue reading “Plan for Adult Formation in Epiphany”
Advent Begins This Sunday!
The Season of Advent begins this Sunday, November 27.
Your Adult Formation Discernment Team is inviting and encouraging the entire Saint James’ Parish to read and discuss What Are You Waiting For?, a book of brief daily Advent meditations written by Christine McSpadden, an Episcopal priest, and published by Forward Movement.
The Formation Team is providing a free copy to the first 100 parish households who commit to reading the daily meditations (two short pages) and discussing them in a group setting before or after worship on Sunday, or with a group of friends sometime during the week.
Continue reading “Adult Formation for Advent & Epiphany”
Dear Adult Parishioners of Saint James’,
Fr. Ben has asked us to begin a process of developing adult formation programs at Saint James’. The term formation refers to deepening spiritual journeys through learning, praying, and worshiping in a way that both touches our hearts and minds, and allows us to be shaped and formed by God.
Here is our plan:
- Affirm and support current formation programs.
- Conduct a parish survey to learn the formation needs and preferences of adult parishioners.
- Discern and launch new programs for the Season of Epiphany (January 6-February 28).
- Create a ministry team or committee structure for the ongoing oversight and coordination of adult formation programs.
- Commission the leaders and participants of adult formation ministries on January 8, the Feast of the Baptism of Our Lord.
We are using Survey Monkey for our parish survey, which will facilitate data compilation and analysis. We are asking every adult to complete a survey by November 23. We need to hear from you. We want to hear from you.
CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE SURVEY
Continue reading “2016 Adult Formation Discernment & Survey”