Adult Formation at Saint James’
Adult formation is learning about the faith and being formed by the triune God through
- study of religious sources [Bible, Prayer Book, books, etc.]
- contemplative prayer [lectio divina, contemplation, centering prayer, examen, etc.]
- meaningful conversation [honest, open, focused, non-judgmental, helpful, respectful, etc.]
- and participation in the life of a faith community. [learning groups, Saint James’, The Episcopal Church]
The Path: A Journey through the Bible
Course Book: The Path: A Journey through the Bible ($10 paperback/334 pages; $10 Kindle)
Suggested Bible: Oxford Annotated Bible, New Revised Standard Version
Session Dates and Conversation Chapters
- June 25 & June 27 Session 1: Chapters 1 & 2
- July 2 Session 2: Chapters 3 & 4
- July 9 & 11 Session 3: Chapters 5 & 6
- July 16 & 18 Session 4: Chapters 7 & 8
- July 23 & 25 Session 5: Chapters 9 & 10
- July 30 & August 1 Session 6: Chapters 11 & 12
- August 6 & 8 Session 7: Chapters 13, 14, & 15
- August 13 & 15 Session 8: Chapters 16, 17, & 18
- August 20 & 22 Session 9: Chapters 19, 20, & 21
- August 27 & 29 Session 10: Chapters 22, 23, & 24
The primary purpose of learning groups for The Path is to facilitate participants in getting an overview of the Bible story and applying Biblical themes to daily life, which will provide a solid foundation for deeper exploration of the Bible in the future. Participation in a learning group is not a requirement for summer adult formation, but it helps. Individual reading or occasional group attendance is fine. Do what works.
- Sunday Learning Group, 9:15 in Reception Room (Childcare for five years and younger in Nursery)
- Tuesday Learning Group, 10:30 in Reception Room
- Home Learning Group (Form your own group of two or more; meet in your own space. Contact Fr. Randolph for more information.)
- Online Learning Group (Join the Saint James’ Adult Formation Facebook group.)
Learning Group Conversation Norms
Respectful Conversation Guidelines
- R = take RESPONSIBILITY for what you say and feel without blaming others
- E = use EMPATHETIC listening
- S = be SENSITIVE to differences in communication styles
- P = PONDER what you hear and feel before you speak
- E = EXAMINE your own assumptions and perceptions
- C = keep CONFIDENTIALITY
- T = TRUST ambiguity because we are NOT here to debate who is right or wrong
Learning Group Creed
I am beloved of God.
I am on a faith journey with Jesus Christ that touches my heart,
and I am grateful to be walking in faith with companions along the way.
I don’t need to be right.
I do want to be faithful.